Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Response to "Solutions"

As we have kept reading Andrew Keane's work, I have found that his thoughts on Wikipedia disturbing. Apparently it has "destructive consequences" which I find to be a very extreme view. I understand to a certain extent his thoughts that Wikipedia is not necessarily a scholarly source. The thing that I don't think he realizes is that the majority of the population know that already. Wiki's are user generated content, and do to that fact, yes, there may be some mistakes. However, I have found in my personal use of Wikipedia, that the site tends to be at least 99% accurate. And how do I know this? I do more research. Wikipedia is very helpful in that it allows people to find something very quickly and easily. However, because it is user generated information it is always best just to look for some other sources in order to back up the information you see there. Most professors do not allow students to use Wikipedia in a bibliography anyway. That being said, pretty much anything you search for has links to where the information came from. So if I'm not certain about the wiki pages info all I have to do is click a few of the links to see just how accurate the information is. So i disagree with the notion that Wikipedia is destructive. In fact, I'd have to say that I have done very well on a lot of papers because I have used it.

1 comment:

  1. good point jacob.. I do agree with you about how wikipedia actually usually IS truthful..
    that's an interesting point and valid point.

    Keen doesn't seem to put much faith in the general "amateur" population at all.. he's what we may call an ivory tower academic who looks down his nose at the so-called "uneducated masses"..

    he could probably learn a thing or two from amateur bloggers or journalists..

    thanks for the insight.
    tj

    ReplyDelete